We come from humble beginnings — picture a one-person organization created in 1949 to advocate for excellence in public education on behalf of Texas school board members. Flash forward to today, and we have over 500 employees working together to provide 1,024 school districts with purposeful resources so they can focus on what matters most — excellent and equitable education for all 5.4 million Texas students. At TASB, the motto has always been “expert help from friendly people,” which makes it easy to see how we’ve maintained 100% membership across all Texas school boards for 32 years and counting. We combine a strong sense of tradition with innovation, and our mission — educational excellence for all Texas schoolchildren through advocacy, visionary leadership, and high-quality services to school districts — has played out in transformative ways.
Why Texas Association of School Boards (TASB)
As TASBeans (our internal name for employees), we feel privileged to work alongside talented team-members who are passionate about education and enjoy learning from new and different perspectives. We believe what makes our organization highly successful is the rich diversity our employees collectively bring to TASB with different backgrounds, skillsets, cultures and ethnicities, gender identities, interests, abilities, and work styles. And our passion for education and learning doesn’t end there. Our culture has always encouraged employees to grow and become their best selves both professionally and personally through a variety of innovative and collaborative development opportunities. You’re likely beginning to see why we’ve been regularly named by Austin Business Journal as a Top Ten Best Places to Work since 2009! But there’s more…
TASB offers competitive pay, rich benefits (including retirement matching of 2:1 up to 5% after one year. This means that if you contribute 5% to the plan, TASB will contribute 10%), onsite daycare, gym, fitness classes, dry-cleaning services, tuition reimbursement, remote work options, flexible schedules, and more.
Every role at TASB thoughtfully complements our mission and the educational impact being made in communities across Texas. If you consider your work exceptional and want to help drive our mission forward, keep reading!
As an HR & Compensation Consultant, you will partner with K-12 public school districts and community colleges implementing market-based compensation strategies and improving HR systems and operations. You will also have the opportunity to develop and deliver training courses and webinars to public school leaders. This role does require approximately 30 percent of travel from October through June.
A Typical Day
- Independently manages assigned small- to medium-sized consulting projects and collaborates with senior consultant or director for more complex or larger projects.
- Communicates with district clients to plan project schedule, deliverables, and meetings.
- If you’re still reading, we’d love to meet you!
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Directs the work of data analysts assigned to project team.
- Provides customer support and networks with clients.
- Analyzes wage and salary market data and develops competitive compensation strategies.
- Advises school executives on HR and compensation issues and problem-solving strategies.
- Evaluates job content and recommends pay classifications.
- May also partner with other experts to present materials of interest to our members.
- Conducts executive briefings and board presentations. Prepares and presents materials appropriate to the audience and situation.
- Prepares written consulting reports and illustrates results of data analyses. Presents complex data in easy-to-understand format.
- Travels throughout the state to provide consulting services.
- Designs pay structures and implementation plans for client districts. Evaluates job content and recommends pay classification for district jobs.
- Works with Assistant Director and other consultants to update HR Services publications, including Model Job Descriptions, Model Employee Handbook, worksite posters, and documents in the HR Library.
- Engages in continuous learning and professional development on best practices and innovations.
- Generates ideas and contributes to the continuous improvement of HR Services.
- Writes articles for publication in magazines and newsletters.
Skills For Success
- Bachelor’s degree in math, business, human resources, education, or related field required.
- Five years’ professional experience in human resources, school administration, or related field.
- Expert knowledge and skills using Excel and database analysis.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and summarize data in meaningful ways.
- Ability to present information to large groups and public audiences.
- Ability to write clear, concise, and meaningful reports.
The TASB Difference
- Enjoy competitive pay and rich benefit offerings.
- Be part of a collaborative environment where every contribution impacts Texas public schoolchildren.
- Thrive in a culture that promotes bringing your whole self to work every day and emphasizes healthy boundaries and work-life balance.
- Learn and grow individually and together through frequent professional development; diversity, equity, and inclusion panels; wellness seminars; and more.
- Work alongside transparent leaders with an open and consistent feedback approach.
- Celebrate as a team with meaningful (and fun) events and tokens of appreciation throughout the year.
- The health and safety of our employees and members, is our top priority. We have implemented safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities including incentivizing vaccines, requiring masks in all common areas in the building, and optional risk-based testing strategies.
- TASB is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of an individual's race, color, disability, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other personal characteristic protected by law.
- This position does not qualify for visa sponsorship.
- Any job offer is contingent upon receipt of results of a satisfactory background check.