Come work as a Senior Data Engineer at a large nonprofit organization in northwest Austin that offers great benefits with a wide range of opportunities to advance and learn alongside a team of talented professionals.
About the Texas Association of School Boards
The Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) has been promoting educational excellence for all Texas schoolchildren since 1949. We provide a wide variety of services and programs to help public school board members serve their communities more effectively and to help school districts function more efficiently.
Since 2009, TASB has regularly made the top 10 list in the large-employer category of the Austin Business Journal’s Best Places to Work in Central Texas. Our inclusive, friendly work environment encourages employees to innovate, collaborate, and grow. We employ a diverse mix of professional, technical, risk management, and administrative staff.
About the Position
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Data Engineer to work in a fast-paced Information Technology department to work with Enterprise/Data Architecture team to implement strategies directed at acquiring Data and promoting the development of new insights across the TASB Enterprise.
They will need to understand and analyze TASB products, Services, and share trends to build Warehouse Data to extend the business’s data pipeline through the collection, storage, processing, and transformation of large Enterprise datasets. Build Reference/Metadata system where all available data is maintained and cataloged. This position will have an active role in the design, architecture and implementation of Data Architecture Framework project during 2020/2021.
- Work with Data Architecture Manager, Key business leaders and Data science Team in planning and Key architecture and business /data architecture roadmap.
- Work with Business/IT data analysts, and Data Scientists and apply best practices as well as defining and gathering technical requirements, which will ensure that the collected data is of a high quality and optimal for exceptional data governance across the department and the business at large.
- Work closely with business and IT to understand and analyze TASB products, Services, and share trends and implement policies.
- Provide insights and guidance on database technology and data modeling best practices.
- Have Deep Technical and Modeling Knowledge in Data and memory Architecture (Erwin/Enterprise Architect/Orbus).
- Design, implement, and support key datasets that avail structured and timely access to actionable business insights.
- Develop ETL processes that convert data into formats through a team of data analysts and dashboard charts.
- Draw performance reports and strategic proposals from gathered knowledge and analyze results for senior data science leadership.
- Develop algorithms for real-time data processing within the business and to create the frameworks that enable quick and efficient data acquisition.
- Retrieve and analyze data through the use of SQL, DBQuery, XML/XSLT,Build data loading services from numerous disparate data sources, inclusive of APIs, logs, relational, and non-relational databases.
- Contribute to the continual improvement of the business’s data platforms, keeps track of industry best practices for improvement opportunities.
- The Senior Data Engineer performs similar duties as he or she deems fit for the proper execution of their duties as delegated by the Data Architecture Manager or the Director for Enterprise Architecture.
- Education: Must have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or any other technology related field.
- Technical / Business Analysis Experience: At least 7+ years of working experience related Technical/Business Skills, preferably in a fast-paced environment and complex business setting. The candidate must have a demonstrated experience in building and maintaining reliable and scalable ETL on big data platforms as well as experience working with varied forms of data infrastructure inclusive of relational databases such as SQL, Azure DB, Hadoop, Spark and column-oriented databases such as Redshift, MySQL, and Vertica. *The candidate must also have had experience in data warehousing inclusive of dimensional modeling concepts and demonstrate proficiency in scripting languages, for example, Python or DB Query or Perl, and so forth inclusive of MapReduce, Hive, HDFS, YARN, HBase, Oozie, etc. The candidate will additionally, demonstrate substantial experience and a deep knowledge of data mining techniques, relational, and non-relational databases*.
- Communication Skills: To ensure effective management, must be capable of conveying information and instructions clearly down the line to the junior team. To interact cross-functionally with non-technical departments. Draft reports and prepare presentations for senior data science leadership.
- Other Tools/Software: The Senior Data Engineer must further have exceptional skills in SQL server reporting services, SSIS, SSAS analysis services, PowerBI or Tableau, integration services, or any other data visualization tools. *
- Technological Savvy/Analytical Skills: The candidate for this position must possess an ability to perform complex data analyses with large data volumes. Expert in SQL, Java, and have a keen understanding of data models and data warehouse concepts. Demonstrate an ability translate algorithms provided by senior data science management and implement them in Data Architecture Frameworks as well as strong knowledge in API's or Other Integration Platforms or file-system level troubleshooting. Working with big data infrastructure tools such as Python, SQS, and Redshift. A suitable candidate will also be proficient Spark, Spark Streaming, Azure, and AppInsights*.
- Interpersonal Skills: The Senior Data Engineer must have certain preferable personal attributes that will make him that much more suited for the position. The Senior Data Engineer will be a result-driven individual, be passionate and a self-starter, be proactive requiring minimal supervision, be highly organized, have an ability to handle multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines, be a creative and strategic thinker, work comfortably work in a collaborative setting, work comfortably with senior departmental leadership and demonstrate an ability to remain calm during times of uncertainty and stress, inspiring the same in their team.
- People Skills: The candidate must be a people person who is able to form strong, meaningful, and lasting connections with others, enabling smooth and continued collaborative relationships, earning the trust of juniors who will readily follow in their directives, and gaining the confidence of senior data science leadership.
- Excellent benefits, including employer-paid medical, dental, and life insurance as well as a retirement plan and employee assistance program. We have generous paid leave and holiday time.
- Convenient staff-supportive amenities like an on-site child care center, mini market, fitness room, and more.
- Professional growth and advancement opportunities in a wide range of areas, including governmental relations, risk management, cooperative purchasing, investment and employee benefits, human resource management, leadership development, and more.
- A diverse, inclusive work environment that celebrates the unique perspectives and talents of all employees.
- A friendly company culture that encourages a healthy work-life balance.
Learn More and Apply
Learn more about TASB and its benefits by visiting tasb.org or by following us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. All job applications must be submitted online through our ADP application system. Only those candidates that closely meet the job’s requirements will be selected for interview and contacted.
TASB is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of an individual's race, color, disability, religion, sex, national origin, or age. TASB does not sponsor H-1B visas. This position is subject to a background check. Any job offer is contingent upon receipt of results of a satisfactory background check.