Come work as a UX/UI Designer at a large nonprofit organization in northwest Austin that offers great benefits with a wide range of opportunities to advance and learn alongside a team of talented professionals.
About the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB)
The Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) has been promoting educational excellence for all Texas schoolchildren since 1949. We provide a wide variety of services and programs to help public school board members serve their communities more effectively and to help school districts function more efficiently.
Since 2009, TASB has regularly made the top 10 list in the large-employer category of the Austin Business Journal’s Best Places to Work in Central Texas.
Our inclusive, friendly work environment encourages employees to innovate, collaborate, and grow. We employ a diverse mix of professional, technical, risk management, and administrative staff.
At Texas Association of School Boards, the health and safety of our employees, and members, is our top priority. We have implemented safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. Due to the current pandemic situation, this will start as a remote position, but will transition to onsite at TASB headquarters when the office reopens.
About the Position
We are looking for a UX/UI Designer to work in a fast-paced Online Communications department to play a central role on our digital experience team by leading user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design for TASB’s digital assets, such as websites and web-based applications. The UX/UI designer works with cross-functional areas and association members to improve UX and UI for TASB’s digital presence.
- Create short- and long-term UX and UI vision for TASB digital experiences.
- Lead and implement UX and UI design of entire websites and other digital touchpoints with a user-centered design approach.
- Conduct UX research with members and key stakeholders.
- Create assets including wireframes, user stories, user journeys, storyboards, process flows, sitemaps, and prototypes that clearly illustrate behaviors, requirements, and design optimized for websites and other digital experiences.
- Execute low-, mid- and high-fidelity visual designs for all visual design stages, for a variety of technologies (web, mobile and emerging), from concept to final hand-off to development.
- Conduct usability tests to rapidly iterate and continuously identify and refine UX needs, issues, and designs.
- Ensure all digital properties and channels follow user-centered design best practices with regard to accessibility, usability, mobile optimization, page weight, and other industry and legal standards.
- Develop and maintain detailed UX/UI specifications and documentation.
- Establish, evolve, advocate for, and adhere to style guides, component libraries, design system and standards.
- Contribute to projects as part of a team from a design perspective, and mentor print designers on digital best practices.
- Prepare and present designs to stakeholders and teams.
- Coordinate with development, content team, project managers, business analysts, IT, and other project resources.
- Lead key internal meetings, including daily and weekly status updates and planning sessions.
- Think critically and solve individual challenges creatively and in a timely manner, with big-picture needs in mind.
- Demonstrable UX and UI design skills with a strong portfolio.
- Understand and execute the user-centered design process and key UX and UI design principles, including accessibility, usability, and brand expression, to influence user behavior.
- Proficient at creating UX and UI design artifacts, including personas, journey maps, wireframes, user flows, process flows, design comps, lo- and hi-fi prototypes, site maps, etc.
- Ability to use web and behavioral analytics tools to make data-driven decisions about design.
- Proficiency with wireframing, prototyping, and design tools (AdobeXD, InVision, PhotoShop, Ilustrator, Sketch, etc.).
- Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to details and user-system interaction.
- Up to date with the latest UX and UI trends, techniques, and technologies.
- Experience working in an agile/scrum and hybrid development process.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Creative, critical thinker and customer-centered solution-finder in the midst of ambiguity, complexity, and uncharted territory.
- Solid time management and independent work skills.
- Strong communication skills with business stakeholders and executive management.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- Experience designing for accessibility and inclusion.
- Strong, passionate interest in learning new technologies and design skills.
- Ability to grow and evolve design systems.
Why Apply at TASB?
- Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, paid disability, life insurance, and flexible spending, as well as a retirement plan with company matching and an employee assistance program. We have generous paid leave and holiday time too!
- Convenient staff-supportive amenities like an on-site child care center, mini- market, fitness room, and more.
- Professional growth and advancement opportunities in a wide range of areas, including tuition reimbursement and robust training and development programs.
- A diverse, inclusive work environment that celebrates the unique perspectives and talents of all employees.
- A friendly company culture that encourages a healthy work-life balance.
Learn More and Apply
Learn more about what it is like to be a TASBean by visiting tasb.org or by following us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. All job applications must be submitted online through our ADP application system. Only those candidates that closely meet the job’s requirements will be selected for interview and contacted.
- TASB is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of an individual's race, color, disability, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other personal characteristic protected by law.
- This position does not qualify for visa sponsorship.
- This position is subject to a background check. Any job offer is contingent upon receipt of results of a satisfactory background check.