Job Title: Community Housing Specialist
Department: Client Services
Program: Housing Stability
Reports To: Housing Stability Program Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Full Time
COVID-19 Vaccine Required but subject to recognized exemptions.
The Community Housing Specialist (CHS) will oversee and coordinate housing outreach efforts for the Housing Stability Program. The CHS collaborates with program staff, clients, and property managers to identify, secure, and maintain housing placements. The CHS is an integral part of the housing stability team, ensuring that clients no longer experience homelessness and have the necessary supports to maintain housing stability. The CHS increased access to both private and public rental properties throughout Austin/Travis County.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (inclusive but not exhaustive):
- Identifies affordable housing properties in Austin/Travis County where clients can reside giving consideration to special populations.
- Gains expertise in housing barriers for populations served through BSS Plus and be able to communicate to property managers and prospective property managers the rationale for housing people with negative or no rental history, criminal background, mental illnesses, substance abuse issues, and/or inadequate or no income.
- Provide the following to partner agencies: housing consultations for hard to house clients, information on tenant’s rights and be available to mediate if problems arise with property manager/tenant relationships.
- Runs and analyzes criminal and rental history reports through AmRent and compiles a summary of the background check information to agency case managers. Trains BSS+ users on AmRent process.
- Works with BSS+ Administration team and finance department to ensure reconciliation of monthly AmRent invoices, including verifying that client service transactions are entered in HMIS Service Point.
- Inspects new and existing properties, as time allows, for safety and habitability standards.
- Continually evaluates housing trends and client needs. Communicates results and issues to appropriate groups and partner agencies.
- Maintains a housing directory developing strategic partnerships with property managers to increase availability to clients experiencing homelessness and to clients at risk of losing housing.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- 1 – 3 years of direct experience in property management, housing locating, and/or housing clients with significant barriers required.
- Knowledge and skills in identifying affordable permanent housing units preferred.
- Experience with property management and/or housing inspection highly preferred.
- Nonprofit experience (volunteer or paid) and understanding social service programs preferred.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Texas driver's license within 30 days of employment and have access to dependable transportation.
- Experience with internet, MS Office, and databases required. HMIS (Homeless Management Information System) experience preferred.
- Base Salary Range: $36,000-$45,000.
- The salary offered will follow Caritas of Austin salary guidelines based on candidate's education and experience.
- Employer paid health, dental, vision, life, short term disability, and long term disability insurance for employees.
- 13 Paid Holidays per year.
- 20 days of accrued PTO in year one with increases up to 31 days per year.
- Retirement plan with employer match.
- Discounted Rates on Gold’s Gym and Legal Shield memberships.
- Mileage Reimbursement.
- Monthly Phone Stipend.
- Monthly Paid Parking for employees who office from Downtown Location.
Caritas of Austin is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Please apply here.