Job Title: Community Housing Specialist
Department: Client Services
Program: Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program (YHDP)
Reports To: Youth Housing Stability Program Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Full Time
COVID-19 Vaccine Required but subject to recognized exemptions
The Community Housing Specialist supports the Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program (YHDP) in stabilizing the housing of low-income, highly vulnerable youths aged 18 to 24 years old who are experiencing homelessness. The primary responsibility of the Community Housing Specialist is to identify and establish new housing opportunities and to maintain relationships with current property managers that house YHDP clients. The Community Housing Specialist also works to provide support with housing resources, property inspections, consultations for hard to house clients, grant required housing documentation, and the processing of background checks for housing through AmRent. This position actively works with other community groups on affordable housing issues for targeted populations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (inclusive but not exhaustive):
- Identifies affordable housing properties in Austin/Travis County where clients can reside and with consideration to special populations.
- Gains expertise in housing barriers for populations served through YHDP and be able to communicate to property managers and prospective property managers the rationale for housing people with negative or no rental history, criminal background, mental illnesses, substance abuse issues, and with inadequate or no income.
- Provide the following to YHDP staff: housing consultations for hard to house clients, information on tenant’s rights/responsibilities, and availability to mediate if problems arise with property manager/tenant relationships.
- Runs and analyzes criminal and rental history reports through AmRent and compiles a summary of the background check information to agency case managers. Trains YHDP users on AmRent process.
- Works with Caritas of Austin’s YHDP team and finance department to ensure reconciliation of monthly AmRent invoices, including verifying that client service transactions are entered in HMIS Service Point.
- Inspects new and existing properties, as time allows, for safety and habitability standards.
- Continually evaluates housing trends and client needs. Communicates results and issues to appropriate program and agency staff.
- Maintains a housing directory developing strategic partnerships with property managers to increase availability to clients experiencing homelessness and to clients at risk of losing housing.
- Develops and implements property manager appreciation plan, including ongoing appreciation and special event(s).
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- 1 – 3 years of direct experience in property management, housing locating, and/or housing clients with significant barriers required.
- Knowledge and skills in identifying affordable permanent housing units preferred.
- Experience with property management and/or housing inspection highly preferred.
- Nonprofit experience (volunteer or paid) and understanding social service programs preferred.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Texas driver's license within 30 days of employment and have access to dependable transportation.
- Experience with internet, MS Office, and databases required. HMIS (Homeless Management Information System) experience preferred.
- Base Salary Range: $36,000-$45,000.
- Employer paid health, dental, vision, life, short term disability, and long term disability insurance for employees.
- 13 Paid Holidays per year.
- 20 days of accrued PTO in year one with increases up to 31 days per year.
- Retirement plan with employer match.
- Discounted Rates on Gold’s Gym and Legal Shield memberships.
- Mileage Reimbursement.
- Monthly Phone Stipend.
- Monthly Paid Parking for employees who office from Downtown Location.
Caritas of Austin is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Please click here to apply.