We come from humble beginnings — picture a one-person organization created in 1949 to advocate for excellence in public education on behalf of Texas school board members. Flash forward to today, and we have over 500 employees working together to provide 1,024 school districts with purposeful resources so they can focus on what matters most — excellent and equitable education for all 5.4 million Texas students. At TASB, the motto has always been “expert help from friendly people,” which makes it easy to see how we’ve maintained 100% membership across all Texas school boards for 32 years and counting. We combine a strong sense of tradition with innovation, and our mission — educational excellence for all Texas schoolchildren through advocacy, visionary leadership, and high-quality services to school districts — has played out in transformative ways.
Why Texas Association of School Boards (TASB)
As TASBeans (our internal name for employees), we feel privileged to work alongside talented team-members who are passionate about education and enjoy learning from new and different perspectives. We believe what makes our organization highly successful is the rich diversity our employees collectively bring to TASB with different backgrounds, skillsets, cultures and ethnicities, gender identities, interests, abilities, and work styles. And our passion for education and learning doesn’t end there. Our culture has always encouraged employees to grow and become their best selves both professionally and personally through a variety of innovative and collaborative development opportunities. You’re likely beginning to see why we’ve been regularly named by Austin Business Journal as a Top Ten Best Places to Work since 2009! But there’s more…
TASB offers competitive pay, rich benefits (including retirement matching of 2:1 up to 5% after one year. This means that if you contribute 5% to the plan, TASB will contribute 10%), onsite daycare, gym, fitness classes, dry-cleaning services, tuition reimbursement, remote work options, flexible schedules, and more.
Every role at TASB thoughtfully complements our mission and the educational impact being made in communities across Texas. If you consider your work exceptional and want to help drive our mission forward, keep reading!
As an ETL – Data Warehouse Programmer, you will leverage tools and technologies, such as SQL and Python, blended with internal and external data sets, along with analytical thinking to assist in driving forward key data projects.
A Typical Day
- Lead the development and testing of data warehouse codes, tools, structures, and processes, in coordination with the RM Business Intelligence and Operations Support team to ensure accurate data integration from RMS and TASB systems.
- Build streamlined data integration and data view solutions using best practices, standard approaches, or reverse engineering.
- Partner with a highly collaborative team to design, develop, implement, and monitor enterprise data integrations and Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) processes for Risk Management Services.
- If you’re still reading, we’d love to meet you!
How You’ll Make an Impact
- In coordination with the RM Business Intelligence and Operations Support team, gather requirements from stakeholders and end-users to develop and implement data integration, storage, reporting and analysis solutions to address business needs.
- Serve on cross-divisional teams including developers, systems analysts, and administrators to ensure timely, complete, accurate and reliable data to support operations, reporting, and business intelligence efforts.
- Participate in data integration and warehouse planning and modernization efforts.
- Monitor operation and effectiveness of RMS ETL and other data integration processes, data stores and tools, including troubleshooting and issue resolution.
Skills For Success
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems, computer science, mathematics, business, or related field.
- Three to five years as a database programmer, ETL developer, application developer or similar position.
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining reliable and scalable ETL on big data platforms and varied forms of data infrastructure.
- Experience in developing automated data pipelines from a variety of sources, like CSV files, API calls, unstructured data files (e.g. text logs), or direct database connections.
- Experience in data modeling, preferred.
- Expert-level knowledge of MS SQL and ETL Software, Informatica preferred.
- Experience in data pipeline quality assurance testing procedures and best practices.
- Working knowledge of or experience using business intelligence and enterprise reporting tools, SAP Business Objects, or Power BI preferred.
- Knowledge of Python or R, preferred.
The TASB Difference
- Enjoy competitive pay and rich benefit offerings.
- Be part of a collaborative environment where every contribution impacts Texas public schoolchildren.
- Thrive in a culture that promotes bringing your whole self to work every day and emphasizes healthy boundaries and work-life balance.
- Learn and grow individually and together through frequent professional development; diversity, equity, and inclusion panels; wellness seminars; and more.
- Work alongside transparent leaders with an open and consistent feedback approach.
- Celebrate as a team with meaningful (and fun) events and tokens of appreciation throughout the year.
- The health and safety of our employees and members, is our top priority. We have implemented safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities including incentivizing vaccines, requiring masks in all common areas in the building, and optional risk-based testing strategies.
- TASB is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of an individual's race, color, disability, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other personal characteristic protected by law.
- This position does not qualify for visa sponsorship.
- Any job offer is contingent upon receipt of results of a satisfactory background check.